Popular Posts

Monday, February 28, 2011

Just thinking

In reading the first three chapters of Whatever it takes, I am reminded of one of  Dr. Cornell West's quotes: "You can't lead the people, if you don't love the people.  You can't save the people, if you won't serve the people." To that end, how much are we really serving the children in our school and the people of the Trinidad community.  Is it enough to come in and teach our hearts out, hold goal-setting conferences in an effort to engage families, or stay late to put in extra time to plan lessons? I can unequivocally and genuinely say that I love all my children (although some days they make it extremely rough for me to do so), but is that enough? Where am I leading my students? What are their life chances if we (the Wheatley community) continue operating under the staus quo? I both admire and envy Mr. Canada's fortitude.  ON one hand it is an inspiration, a call to action.  On the other, it makes it seems like what I/we do an exercise in futility.  So, I was just thinking. Thinking about what it would take to replicate the Harlem Children Zone in DC, in Trinidad, at Wheatley.  Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.